Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 4



Took a walking tour of Cotonou today. Lots of interesting things to see! Good restaurants, places to buy American liquor and cigarettes (which I probably won't unless I lose a bet and owe someone something), open markets. It was difficult for me to see the chickens and rabbits crammed into baskets and crates. I wanted to buy the wholel ot of them and take them to a veterinarian. "Excusez-mois, monsieur, could you please fix my 300 chickens and 50 rabbits?" Walking through the butcher area was particularly eye-opening because I have NO exposure to things like that. Needless to say, I plan on remaining a vegetarian. I'm glad I don't have to sacrifice that essential part of myself.
At market today a young girl called out "Hi!" to my group of about 6 people. I turned around and smiled at her and waved, and she got this huge grin and started clapping with her friend. We are a big deal with our fair hair and blue eyes, I guess. We get a lot of looks when out, especially when mosying about in a touristy troupe. Not sure how I'll get around by myself but that remains to be seen!

I have also been told about how people transport animals. Chickens tied together by the ankles and strapped to bikes, cows and goats strapped to roofs of cars and screaming (unless they are too dehydrated), etc. A lot of people I've heard discussing it think it's funny but to be honest I am horrified and am not sure if I will be able to fully desensitize to it. I know it's a part of life here and I'm not going to change it or attempt to discuss it with anyone, because that's not what I am here to do. It's just a lot different from the states.
A cool thing that one volunteer told me about was a guy who played sax. He went to a bar with a pretty good live music scene in Cotonou and met the band that plays there regularly. He eventually ended up playing his sax with them and when he COS'd (close of service.. they call it COSing when you leave) he followed them straight to Europe and toured with them there! It makes me think of you Shane, and I hope you get to do something like this someday. The volunteers here remind me so much of you... same articulate intellectual-types with keen senses of wit. I hope you get to come visit at some point.

Today I will be getting my rabies vaccine (first in the series) then having a training on Host Family Orientation so when I meet my host family tomorrow I will know a bit more about how to act and what to expect. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment