Sunday, November 15, 2009


A view of the sea at sunset... boats on the horizon.
Right before a graduation ceremony, posing with Vitale's bike and wishing it were mine
Vitale (007)
The beach. The palm trees keep it from all tumbling into the ocean. The small shallow boats are for fishing and I am mystified as to how they control them on the open sea with the little oars they use. The current is so strong that it is difficult to remain standing if you wade in above the knees, but locals dive right in to cool off mid-day. Repairing the knits looks tedious and is very time-consuming. If you do get pulled into the current, I read, you should relax because it won't carry you too far away, it will just take you in a giant loop around the beach. Them you swim in diagonally with the waves. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't drown but I'm not about to find out! I'm content to just splash around on the beach and look for shells.
You can drink a beer and really, really, REALLY let go here. Most relaxing day of my life. Please bear in mind, though, that the life of a Peace Corps Volunteer is very taxing and warrants the receipt of many care packages from home.
A particularly strong wave: Gotcha!
Right outside the concession where my home is. African sunsets are tops!
And then there are fields, forests, and clear blue skies. The variety of landscape here is astonishing and makes exploring fun!
Vitale and Lou take a walk in Tchaada, Lou's village.
The road from my village, Djigbe, to nearby Hozin. This is on the outskirts of my village. The little girl on the left is wearing khaki, the school uniform for all students in Benin.
Me with the cutest baby I have ever seen in my life. Sometimes babies just appear in my house- I swear. Moms get tired of watching them and they just walk in and plop them on my floor, smile, and waltz on out the door, unburdened and breezy. Usually some kids will take the baby before I see the mom again. Babies are less the prized, unique possessions here as we think of them in the states. They are more like communal parasites, to be dealt with until they are completely independent and can take care of themselves, usually around age 2 1/2.

2 comments: